GREEN FUNERALS & NATURAL BURIALS
The concept of a green funeral or natural burial may be novel to the New York metro area, however, these pragmatic, eco-friendly alternatives are simply making a comeback to the mainstream.
Like most aspects of the green movement, we've discovered that getting and giving back to nature means making conscientious choices to reduce abundance and preserve our habitat. With this awareness, people who lead an eco-friendly lifestyle can leave this world in the same fashion that they have lived in it. It's a natural choice and we're proud to provide the means to uphold this environmental cause.
The basic principles of a green funeral and a natural burial are as follows:
- Either no embalming or non-formaldehyde embalming. Eco-friendly alternatives are available for those who desire a viewing service.
- No manufactured caskets. Only biodegradable caskets, urns, shrouds or ecopods where interment occurs and even becomes a place of ecology restoration.
- Natural cemeteries or burial grounds where nature preservation guidelines are upheld by the Green Burial Council.
- Natural stone markers or GPS devices in lieu of manufactured headstones.
- Hand-dug burial sites.
- No concrete vaults or liners.
Natural Burial Cemeteries
- Wooster Cemetery, Danbury, CT
- Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Sleepy Hollow, NY
There are varying shades of green within these services. The choice to go organic does not have to be an all or nothing objective. For instance, people who already own a traditional burial plot can opt to forego embalming. The steadfast environmentalist may prefer earth-friendly products in a natural burial ground. Almost every aspect of a natural funeral and burial process provides the liberty to make it more or less green.